wlan0 not available after a insmod

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Oct 29 06:37:41 PST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 11:46:58AM -0200, Leonardo Pereira Santos wrote:

> 	I'm using hostap-0.1.0 in a embedded board and everything is working fine. My
> board has the peculiarity that the card won't be inserted or removed, it'll
> always be plugged at the PCMCIA connector. I was wondering if I could get rid
> of cardmgr, because I really don't need it, and not having cardmgr would same
> some RAM and FLASH space.

Well, you might not need some features of cardmgr, but you need it for
binding the card to the correct driver (because Linux PC Card drivers do
not do this themselves)..

> In /etc/modules.conf. So I tried to patch my kernel and compile the hostap
> driver into it. That didn't work either. Reading the code, I noticed that
> hostap_cs need a card_insertion event, so the prism2_config function is
> called to set up things. Is there a way to do this? Even if it means a little
> hack in the driver? thanks a lot!

Sure, this can be done, but it does indeed mean some hacking..
hostap_plx driver could be even better example, because it is using PC
Cards without cardmgr/cs/ds. You would need to include enough code to
initialize the PC Card-PCI/ISA/whatever adapter in similar component to
hostap_plx.c and then you should be able to use rest of the code without
much (if any) changes. This would allow you to replace cs/ds/etc. kernel
modules and cardmgr with the new initialization code (specific to your
hardware).