Can't set ESSID

Jochen Haemmerle thehammer
Fri Oct 24 10:12:17 PDT 2003

Hello!

I have an IBM Notebook with a Mini-PCI (Prism2.5) wlan Card. I'm using Linux
Kernel 2.6.0-test8 with the hostap-cvs and Wireless-Tools v26. All compiles
great and even loading the kernel module works perfectly.
Now, I set the Interface  with "iwconfig" in "mode Managed". This also works,
but now, if I try to set the ESSID (iwconfig wlan0 essid "foobar") iwconfig
doesn't seem to recognize the ESSID.
It allways stays like this:

wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00  Bit Rate:2Mb/s
          Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off

Hope someone can help me!

Best Regards