how to download secondary to RAM

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Oct 15 18:22:50 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:06:44PM -0700, William Tai wrote:

>    What flag, -r, -g or -p, should I use to download secondary firmware to
> RAM?

-r with optionally adding -p if you want to make the download persistent
over hw_reset of the wlan card.

>    What difference among these three flags?
>          -p   persistent mode for volatile download
>          -r   download SREC file into RAM (volatile)
>         -g   download SREC file into RAM (volatile in Genesis mode)
>    What is persistent mode and genesisi mode?

Persistent mode is an extra option that can be added to RAM download (-r
or -g). It instructs the driver to keep a copy of the downloaded
firmware image in host memory and automatically reload that image if the
wlan card is resetted. Without this option, the card will return to the
firmware image loaded from flash in case of such a hw_reset. The image
is lost when unloading the driver, so the download is still volatile in
that sense.

Genesis mode is a special mode in which the Prism2/2.5/3 card is started
without completing the firmware initialization. It is needed for
downloading the primary firmware image into RAM. It requires new (as in,
not hfa3841-based Prism2) card (or hardware modifications with
hfa3841-based cards).