txpower

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Oct 8 19:03:13 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 12:57:46PM +0200, Zbynek Jun wrote:

> one more vote for txpower control. know somebody any reason to not reenable
> it in cvs in raw form ?
> we use raw settings (scaled/measured for exact type of card) for hostAP
> patched by jbohac patches on our APs six months without problems.

If you are able to scale the setting for the exact type of the card and
are able to patch the driver, I would also assume you would have no
problem in compiling the driver with one definition to include the raw
TX power control..

I will not be returning the old version of the TX power control in a
default build. In other words, to be able to use it, one needs to have
some kind of understanding of what it really does. Yes, it can be used
for useful things, but it can also easily be used improperly (turn power
to the largest value without first verifying whether this really helps
or whether it causes signal quality to drop or interference).

I'm considering of using a new firmware feature for setting the power
limit and/or adding proper feedback control from measured TX power.
Either of these should be OK to be enabled in the default build.