ad-hoc mode problem

Pavel Roskin proski
Thu Nov 6 08:56:16 PST 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 manishas at cdacindia.com wrote:

>      i have made change from managed to ad-hoc but it does not work.
>
> plz give solution.

Solutions are normally not free.  If you need a solution, maybe you should
hire someone rather than post in the mailing list.  If you want help for
free, please post sufficient information, such as the output of iwconfig
and ifconfig.  Nobody needs your keys and IP addresses.  If you really
care, use different keys for the test.

>       my card is prism2 based (compaq wl100 card)
> the other machine has cisco card.
>
>       i have run following commands on two laptops as follows
>
> machine 1:having hostap driver
>           iwconfig wlan0 essid test-adhoc
>           iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
>           iwconfig wlan0 channel 3
>           ifconfig wlan0 192.168.6.x
>
> machine 2:
>           iwconfig wlan0 essid test-adhoc
>           iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
>           iwconfig wlan0 channel 3
>           ifconfig wlan0 192.168.6.x
>
> and when i try to ping each other it does not work.

Run iwconfig and see if both cards have the same BSSID.  If it's
different, the cards are not associated.  Check antennas.  You may have
buggy firmware.  Make sure you are using recent versions (1.4.9 and
above).

If the BSSID is the same, then the cards are associated.  Check
configuration of iptables and statistics on both ends as shown by ifconfig
and iwconfig.

In any case it's useful to check the kernel log by running dmesg.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin