Limit association to a single AP?

Brian Capouch brianc
Mon May 26 17:04:10 PDT 2003

I am a bit confused on the way hostp implements the "ap" option.

I'm using hostap as a client, and am in an environment where there are
lots of APs using the same ESSID and channel (i.e. clueless newbies who
are running out-of-the-box configuration) and I need to force my card to
associate only with the "right one."

That appears to be the purpose of the "ap" option, but when I run it I
see this message logged:

wlan0: Preferred AP (SIOCSIWAP) is used only in Managed mode when
host_roaming is enabled

Does this mean I'm out of luck?  I'm having a heck of a time using the
link because my card flip-flops between two of them that appear to be
coming in at almost the same power level. . .

Thx.

B.