WEP encryption

m_pawlowski at t-online.de m_pawlowski
Sat May 17 02:39:16 PDT 2003

hello, jouni.

thanks for replying.

well, i've tried adding "auth_algs=2" to hostapd.conf but hostapd
complained about an unknown config statement.

anyway. to be honest:

the things i heard of so far regarding security of wlans made me think
of securing anything that comes via air (layer 3/4) and not to try
securing wlan itself more than it is obviously capable of (mac address
based inclusion/exclusion of STA seems to be the only real sort of
"protection" on the wlan but i'm quite sure that someone has already
cracked even this), since WEP has been cracked quite a short time after
it was made public. so leaving WEP alone and trying to secure anything
that's "behind" it seems to make much more sense to me.

despite of all this i do not want to forget one thing:

i would really like to thank you and everyone who has contributed to
this absolutely fine piece of software for inventing, engineering and
spending their spare time on hostap !

thank you!

regards,
-mp.