Simplified Makefile for 2.5.x kernels; 2.4.x, too

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue May 13 21:53:10 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:03:37PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> There is a simple way to figure out the build system, used in the Orinoco
> driver.  If Rules.make is in the kernel tree, we assume the old build
> system and ask the user what he wants.  If Rules.make is not in the kernel
> tree, there is no point in asking - we just build everything and ask the
> user to run "make install".

Using kernel makefiles for building external modules seems to work fine
with Linux 2.4.x, too. It just needed a minor change for
driver/modules/Makefile. Now "make" and "make install" should do the
proper thing for both 2.4.x and 2.5.x. Old "make pccard" etc. can still
be used with 2.4.x (and 2.2.x) kernel. I haven't tested using kernel
makefiles with Linux 2.2.x. If it worked, Host AP Makefile could be
simplified a lot.. Removing support for Linux 2.2.x would also solve
this ;-), but there has been some requests for keeping it still around.