hostap hangs when reseting..

Milan Krcmar milan.krcmar
Tue May 13 07:19:02 PDT 2003

I've seen many times the idea of receiving a frame during reset causing
total machine lockup. Is there a reason (proof) for this assumption?

I have had several (about 5) computers with PRISM2.5 PCI card and hostap
and can confirm that card reset (should it be triggered on user's behalf
from iwpriv or from some control condition in hostap) sometimes locks the
machine (and only hard reset can recover).

It is a property of each and every computer with PRISM and hostap I know
of. This is experience of a large user group counting several tens of
hostap based APs. Various hardware used for computer itself, card mostly
Zcomax Xi626, but also DLink 520 and so on).

The only way to make the hostap behave stably is to avoid resets (the most
frequent reason hostap shedules card reset seems to be weak signal from AP
while it is in Managed mode, I just had to use a better antenna).

Milan