Raw socket operations from a non-root user application

Shawn McFarr smcfarr
Fri May 9 09:48:06 PDT 2003

The problem that we are trying to resolve is that we have a user application that needs to make raw socket calls to our network driver. However, the ioctl() on a raw socket descriptor fails due to lack of appropriate permissions by the user application.

We would like to add appropriate code/privilegs to our user level application to provide permissions or capabilities to make ioctl() calls on a raw socket descriptors to our network driver.

If you've seen this problem solved in the past, we'd like to learn from your experience.

Thanks in advance.