Hostap 0.0.2 ?

Eduardo Kaftanski eduardo
Sun May 4 19:39:53 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 08:24:34PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Sun, 4 May 2003, Eduardo Kaftanski wrote:
>
> > Maybe I can help... I upgraded my motherboard this evening to a dual PII
> > and the box started hanging. I upgraded hostap to 0.0.2 and the machine
> > no longer freezes, but the hostap driver does, requiring a reboot to
> > clear.
>
> Have you tried to reload the driver?  Have you tried "iwpriv wlan0 N" with
> N being 0, 1 and 2?  0 is the hardest reset, 2 is the softest.

no. will try that tomorrow (neighbor gone to sleep and powered off the box)

> > I went back to 0.0.1 and a non-smp kernel and the problems are gone.
>
> It would be interesting to know what happens in the other two
> combinations, namely SMP + 0.0.1 and UP + 0.0.2.

SMP + 0.0.1 = hard lockup
UP + 0.0.2 not hanging so far.

> Also, it's not quite clear when the driver starts hanging.  Does it happen
> immediately or after some time?  What amount of time is it?  Do you bring
> the interface up at all?  Maybe you could just describe the whole sequence
> of events?

I did in anothe posting but will repeat:

SMP + 0.0.1 : packet lost, card reset, card reset (exactly 2), frozen linux.
SMP + 0.0.2 : packet lost, card reset ad infinitum. never comes back...

> If you decide to give it a try, it still it would be interesting to know
> if the problem persists after the upgrade.

will try that, but so far I think its 2 bugs: one is a bug present in
both 0.0.1 and 0.0.2 that in a SMP machine looses the card, and a bug that
was present in 0.0.1 and its not present in 0.0.2 that freezes the box after
bug 1 loses it.

The second bug looks like the WDS reconect bug mentioned in the Changelog.

So far, UP + anyversion has no hangups...

--
Eduardo Kaftanski
eduardo at linuxcenter.cl
Gerente Ingenieria LinuxCenter S.A.
Canada 239 5to Piso, Providencia, Stgo de Chile.
http://www.linuxcenter.cl 2745000