WDS queries

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Mar 28 20:47:50 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 05:35:09AM -0800, Vic Berdin wrote:

> When adding other APs to the WDS environment using the
> command 'iwpriv wlan0 wds_add 00:00:00:00:00:00', I
> noticed that ALL the nearby (target) APs involved must
> first be set to 'master' mode in order for them to be
> detected by the host AP being configured. With this,
> does this mean that I can only set 'repeater' mode for
> the repeater APs after all has been properly
> detected/added?

Automatic WDS link addition is using beacon frames from neighboring APs
to detect their addresses. In 'repeater' mode, the device does not send
beacon frames and the other devices do not have a mechanism for finding
out their neighbors. Of course you could add some proprietary mechanism
for neighbor discovery without using beacon frames, but I'm not sure it
would be worthwhile to implement something like that since beacons can
already be used for this.

> I also noticed that when an AP has already been
> detected (macaddy in /proc/net/hostap/wlan0), the only
> means of flushing the detected APs is by restarting
> card manager. Is there any other way I can flush ALL
> detected APs (in
> /proc/net/hostap/wlan0/**:**:**:**:**:**) without
> having to restart card manager?

These entries are supposed to expire just like associated station
entries, i.e., five minutes after no frames being received from the said
station/AP.