"Could not get RID" error - RID len mismatch

Christophe Chaloin christophe.chaloin
Wed Mar 19 09:39:56 PST 2003

Hello,

I'm using the 2002-10-12 HostAP driver and i have this random error :

In dmesg, HostAP says that "hfa384x_get_rid" function (in driver/modules/hostap_hw.c) can't read some informations from the PCI card. An "RID len mismatch" is displayed.

Sometimes i have problems only with NIC, others with NIC & PRI, but often with MAC, causing a 00:00:00:00:00:00 MAC Address assigned to my wlan0 interface (a Dlink DWL-520 with Prism2.5 onboard) ... and of course the wireless lan doesn't work.

I tried to load / unload a lot of times the hostap_pci module. Each time i get a different result (no NIC, non NIC+PRI, OK (full datas read),  or module not loaded at all ...)

Notice that the "iwconfig" command always return the good MAC address.

Why HostAp driver cannot read reliably these datas ?
How to fix this bug.

Chris