Point coordinator functions / HostAP

Brian Capouch brianc
Fri Mar 14 11:00:43 PST 2003

Dave Edwards wrote:>

> My apologies for being a PITA but I've spent the past few months looking
> at this

I wonder about an alternative, such as is done with Karlnet's Turbocell,
that instead of using 802.11b uses a proprietary polling protocol riding
on top of standard independent-mode point-to-point associations.

I haven't spent much time digging into code, but I've spent a ton of
time talking to lots of smart people about this, and (unless I'm missing
something, which certainly could be possible) it would seem like the
undertaking of an open source project to add polling functionality to
standard ad-hoc links would have a huge payoff.

Karlnet's software can do polling with standard omni antennas, and from
what I can tell their claim of high throughput and distance
insensitivity are both substantiated in practice.

I would love to see this discussed by people who are more MAC- and
PHY-layer literate than I am.

Thanks.

B.