Sending raw frames (PF_PACKET) to a host-ap device?

Ben Greear greearb
Wed Mar 12 21:49:32 PST 2003

Pedro Estrela wrote:
> the best way to do this and a lot more, is to use the libpcap packet
> capture/generation library that tcpdump uses.
> using this library, you can most definitly:
>
> - put a interface into promiscuous mode;
> - receive all packets, with all headers up to level 2, including (later
> versions of etheral pcap) prism2 headers;
> - send any possible packets, including layer 2 headers. (for exemple, custum
> ARP packets)
>
> it's more complicated than a PF_packet socket, which also works, but its
> MUCH more flexible.

Actually, I will be sending these packets from a kernel module, for
the most part.  However, if libpcap can send it, then it will be fine.

My main concern was whether or not I could send a pkt with a src address
other than that of the wlan device, and whether or not I could put it in
promisc mode.

Thanks for the response!

Ben