About bridge

Martin Polak mpolak
Thu Mar 6 00:18:48 PST 2003

clair.hong wrote:
> Then, What can I do for testing brideing util?
>
> Please give a detail advise.
>
> I must test by installing another bridge utills (bridge-0.9.6) .
>
> I will wait your answer. Thank you .
>
> ps. Do you know another open bridge source except bridge.sourceforge.net/bridge-utils?

Sorry for being unclear.
To use 802.1d briging you need kernel 802.1d bridging support compiled
in, AND bridge-utils from http://bridge.sourceforge.net/ .

Then you need to create a bridge interface by:

brctl addbr br0

and add the interfaces you want to bridge to the bridge interface:
e.g.:

brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1

next you have to disable the bridged interfaces by:

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0

additionally you can assign an address to the bridge interface, if you
want your box to be reached over this interface (which is strictly
against OSI-model because bridgeing is on ethernet level, which doesnt
know about ip adresses, but it works an is useful).
After a few minutes of learning mode, the bridge will be up and working.

greets, Martin

p.s.
The above can also be found in the README files of hostap-driver and
various other howto's on the net :-)