Typical CPU load?

Jason Riedy ejr
Tue Mar 4 09:07:13 PST 2003

I'm considering using hostap with a PCI device on a dual PPro for
home.  Does anyone have ballpark CPU load figures?  WEP is only
important insofar as it helps 802.1x (necessary?).

I'd really prefer the control hostap would give me, but if it eats
more than ~15% of a CPU then I can't afford it.  There are some
ominous noises in the list archives about inefficient bus usage
(broken bus mastering?), and I haven't spent the time to understand
the source yet.

If folks want, I'll happily summarize responses.  Or if there is
already a summary somewhere, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Jason, who may not even be able to find PCI 2.1-compatible cards
anymore...