AP configuration

Elvizz elvizz
Thu Jun 26 14:09:11 PDT 2003

> Hi,
>
> I have installed on an P233 MMX PC SuSE 8.2 PRO and
> have configured this PC as DHCP and DNS server. I have
> an I-Gate Siemens Wireless card inside and have
> flashed the firmware of the card with the 1.4.9
> Intersil firmware. I have compiled the hostap drivers
> and was able to load the hostap_plx driver module. The
> command "iwconfig wlan0" returns:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"test"
>           Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access
> Point: 00:90:D1:05:57:9B
>           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:-7 dBm
> Sensitivity=1/3
>           Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment
> thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise
> level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx
> invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0
> Missed beacon:0
>
> Could someone help with the following steps for
> configuring it as an AP with all possible security
> settings ? I have a laptop with XP Pro and a wireless
> card and want to connect to the PC and get from it an
> IP and so on. I would be very grateful for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Stavros

Hello

I cannot serve with all security-stuff but some things I can tell you as
far as found out by my self:

# iwconfig wlan0 key s:<key> [1]

With key being a 14 or 17 signs long ASCII-string (test it).
You can also enter:

# iwconfig wlan key <hex-key> [1]

if you want so, but I think, the first way is much more easy ;)

Then you of course have to tell your XP client the key... as far as I
know, you have to use the ASCII-key.

This is not really secure, because the WEP64/WEP128 mechanism isn't
secure at all... but it should be better than no encryption ;)

Marco