Wireless point to point signal strength monitoring tool

Theodor Milkov zimage
Tue Jun 17 01:38:33 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 09:21:01AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On 11 June 2003 18:55, Raffaele Raf wrote:
> > I am looking for a software tool for linux that can
> > show what is the strength of the radio signal between
> > 2 access points.
> > It has to work in text mode of course, have a small
> > size, be statically linked and independent from any
> > interpreter like perl or similar.
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Works for me: for STA:
>
> # watch 'iwconfig wlan0 2>&1'
>
> For AP:
>
> # watch 'cat /proc/net/hostap/*/*:* | grep rx'

Unfortunately no one seems to know what exactly the numbers reported by
hostap mean (i.e. how they map to dB). But that's already another
question :-)

--
        Theodor Milkov        Head Network Administrator
        Davidov Net           Phone: +359 (2) 730158