Extending HostAP to support WPA

khoh at etri.re.kr khoh
Mon Jun 2 00:47:36 PDT 2003

I heard that new functions were added in the recent PRISM firmware
to support WPA. The functions are, setting TKIP key, attaching IEs
to management frames, MIC failure events, and so on.
We can find some of them as HFX384X_RID_XXXX values in
'hostap_wlan.h' with comments of /* added in STA f/w 1.7.x */.

I tried to insert WPA IE to Beacon frames. The codes are someting
like followings.

char buf[28] = { 0x80, 0x00, 0xdd, 0x18, ....};
local->func->set_rid(local->dev, HFA384X_RID_GENERICELEMENT,
	buf, 28);

The first byte of 'buf' is the frame type of beacon, and 26 bytes from
the third to the end are WPA IE.

I caught the beacon frame in the air, and saw the IE is attached. But
102 meaningless bytes are attached in the trail also.
I don't know the right procedures to configure IEs in management
frames. I just tried, but it is not successful.
I guess, if we know the right configuration procedures of f/w 1.7.x,
we can make HostAP to support WPA.

Is there anybody who knows them?