Prism GT/Indigo/Duette linux drivers available

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Jul 28 20:16:58 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:05:18PM +0200, Reyk Floeter wrote:

> i think it would be the _best_ idea to introduce some kind of an
> extended common wireless api and a more common and chipset-
> independent interface to the userspace hostapd.

hostapd is already pretty much hardware independent. Although,
admittedly it requires some additions to better support some chipsets,
like Atheros. It is the kernel side that needs more work to make code
reusable for different drivers. I have actually been working on this for
quite some time in a different code base.

> userspace hostapd seems to be the best solution for the future - why
> not use it for other projects? jouni, would it be possible to seperate
> it a bit from the prism2 hostap driver and to provide an own tarball?
> i plan to use it in the (free) ar5k drivers instead of re-inventing
> the wheel and others could port hostapd to *BSD if we had a well-
> defined and documented interface.

I'm going to separate the tarball into two or three components quite
soon. One will be the device driver without any user space programs.
Another one will be hostapd and possible a third one for Prism2-specific
tools (prism2_srec, hostap_diag). This kind of separation is needed
anyway if Host AP driver ends up being merged into Linux kernel tree at
some point.

There already is a BSD port of hostapd and I'm looking into merging at
least parts of it to my CVS tree.