Open WEP Mode and SMC 2532

Jun Sun jsun
Thu Jul 24 11:20:12 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:45:37PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, David Levitan wrote:
>
> > hostap_crypt and hostap_crypt_wep are working. If I put the key in on
> > the client, it works without a problem.
>
> OK, I confirm the problem.  Firmware 1.7.4, CVS HostAP on the AP side.
> Firmware 1.4.9, CVS orinoco_cs on the STA side.  The WEP key is set on the
> AP side to 7465-7374-00.  The station has no key.  It associates, but no
> traffic comes through.

I have done the same experiement too.  My understanding is:

. "security open" means open authentication.  And therefore auth packets
  go through and client is associated with AP
. Since client does not have key set, it will send plain data packet
  to AP.  You should see AP actually receives the packets from client.
. However, (I am guessing here) since AP has key set, it replies with
  encrypted data packet which client discards.  That is why you don't
  see the reply packets from AP.

I have been thinking it would be great if we modify hostAP so that
it replies in plain data packet if the incoming packet is plain, even when
it has WEP key set.  This would make AP supporting WEP and non-WEP at
the same time.

BTW, I don't think existing behavior is wrong.  To be picky, hostAP might
want to be consistent regarding receiving and sending data packets when
key is set.  It should either receive and send plain data packets, or
should not receive plain data packet at the first place.

Jun