wireless stats in ad hoc mode

JAMES KABA jkaba
Fri Jul 18 16:55:20 PDT 2003

I'm trying to get access to wireless stats while in ad hoc mode
(specifically, in ad hoc demo mode, but I can't get it to work either
way).

I'm trying to access the RSSI values via a call to
dev->get_wireless_stats from a kernel module...which is the same
function that gets called by iwconfig and when you cat
/proc/net/wireless.

When I all get_wireless_stats from my module, printks I added to the
hostap driver show me that the call to get_rid() for the COMMSQUALITY
returns a negative value.
If I look at the stats by catting /proc/net/wireless, the get_rid() call
in get_wireless_stats succeeds, but it always returns the same static
(wrong) values.

Am I doing something wrong?  This works with wvlan_cs and orinoco_cs.
I've only just looked into the hostap_cs drivers---is this functionality
disabled somewhere else in the driver when in ad hoc mode?

I'm currently using prism2.5 based cards with firmware p1.1.1 and s1.7.4

2.4.18 kernel, wireless extension v12, pcmcia_cs 3.2.1
hostap_cs driver v0.0.3

Any help you can give would be appreciated---I'd be happy enabling this
vi standard approaches or via a temporary driver hack.

Thanks,
Jim