Where can I find a hostap-compatible PCI card??

Greg Johnson gregfjohnson
Fri Jul 11 17:14:32 PDT 2003

I'm trying to buy another hostap-compatible PCI card.

The cards I've been using are D-Link DWL-520 cards.  As other people have
no doubt noticed, there is a massive jumble of cards all called DWL-520,
many of which have random non-Prism chipsets.  I've already bought one
of these on ebay.com accidentally.

Are hostap-compatible cards starting to become hard to find and buy?

Can someone give me a recommendation or suggestion about where to look
for a hostap-compatible PCI card?

Are there any PCI cards on sale at a place like Fry's or Best Buy or
Circuit City that would be hostap-compatible?

Any source on the web for a PCI hostap-compatible card?

I've been scouring ebay.com for days, and have not seen a DWL-520 that
looks right to me, at least based on the photographs of the cards.
(By "right", I mean one that has the same visual appearance as the ones
I currently own and know work.)

My (working) card has a rather large (maybe 1.5" x 1.5") blue and white
chip that is very thin (maybe 1/8" thick).

I have seen ebay.com ads for "DWL-520" cards that don't look the same
as mine, but might work.  They have a very large, quite thick chip on
the card that is blue and white.  An example is on ebay.com at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034330524&category=45001

Could someone check that site out and let me know if that is a
hostap-compatible card?  I'd really like to avoid stocking up on every
variant of the DWL-520 that is incompatible with hostap if possible!  ;-)

Thanks in advance!  (Starting to get desperate here..)

Greg Johnson
gregfjohnson at yahoo.com