Symbol Spectrum24 High Rate working with hostap driver in managed mode

Pavel Roskin proski
Wed Jul 9 12:38:47 PDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:

> it worked well as a client, which really shocked me as I had read it was
> a Symbol card. So I tried to let it stay in master mode, and it didn't
> work, but it didn't give any more errors than these ones.

I know that.  I tried a DWL-650H card recently and it worked.  Older
versions of HostAP didn't work or it was bad luck.  However, I need to run
"iwpriv wlan0 reset 2" to make the card report the right BSSID (the AP MAC
address).  The BSSID reported initially is bogus.  Also, I don't expect
WEP to work.  And scanning should be broken as well.

> So I'm asking myself... how does this card, which is not even a prism card
> work in managed mode? and would it be possible to get HostAP mode on it with
> a different firmware/changes on the driver/any other way?

Prism, Lucent and Symbol chipsets are brothers.  They have a common
ancestor - Choice CW10.

I don't expect Symbol or Lucent cards to work in HostAP mode because I
don't think the firmware supports it.  You can load tertiary firmware to
Lucent cards - look for "hermesap" on the web.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin