'original' WDT11/WPC11 combo for an AP?

Jason Boxman jasonb
Thu Jan 30 15:24:08 PST 2003

linuxchuck said:

> Back in the day, Jason Boxman said:

(:

<snip>
> Good news.  I have it fully functional now.  It would seem the problem I
> had was
> transient.  I removed the bridging as you suggested, and placed the system
> in
> ad-hoc mode.  The laptop, (running win2k pro, by the way) refused to
> associate
> at all then.  Then I found out that the drivers in 2k give 2 different
> modes of ad-
> hoc.  One is written just plain ad-hoc, the other option is 802.11b
> ad-hoc.  I set
> it to 802.11b ad-hoc, and it associated.  I could also ping between them
> as well.

Yeah, there's the standard Ad-Hoc mode and there's an old school variant
that was used by older 2Mbps only cards I believe.  I see you found the
right one.

<snip q>
> Are there any worthwhile benefits to flashing my WPC-11 firmware up to
> 1.4.9?  As
> far as I can tell, it seems to be passing data without issues at my
> current version. I
> have not put any real load on it yet, as I only have one laptop at the
> moment that I
> can use for testing with it.  I have found reference to windows based
> flash methods
> that will *supposedly* work with any prism2 based card.  The specific
> reference is:

Don't Don't Don't flash your WPC card to STA 1.4.9 using the hacked
utility.  The site hosting it says he has received reports of several
people frying their WPC11 cards doing so.  If you really need to, you can
ram upload STA FW.  If the card is working okay with your existing
firmware, you can leave it alone.

I get the impression that newer revisions, like 1.5.6 have some cool
features, but I haven't had time to try ram uploading those yet...  I
still don't even know which cards ship with this very new firmware.