"original" WDT11/WPC11 combo for an AP?

Jason Boxman jasonb
Mon Jan 27 22:51:48 PST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 08:57 pm, linuxchuck wrote:
> Hello all.  This is my first post, so I'll keep it as short as possible.
> At the risk of becoming flamebait for some post I probably missed in my
> searching...  here's the problem:

You've included plenty of useful details, I think, and that should help in
resolving your issue.

> I've done a bit of research through the archives and haven't seen a
> reference to my hardware, so I thought I'd ask if there is anyone who has
> experience with it.
>
> I am using the first release of the WPC11 seated in a WDT11 and have had a
> "partial" success getting it to work as an AP with the Host_AP drivers.  I

First release, as in the WPC11v1?

> have a laptop in the house with the same WPC11 pc card in the pcmcia slot.
> I can get good association, and signal strength, but cannot send any data.
> DHCP times out, and if I statically assign an IP, I still cannot ping to or
> past the AP.  I have used the setup as  described at
> http://trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/hostap_20021012.shtml to the letter.  I
> have two Ethernet connections, Eth0 is my internet connection, and Eth1 is
> my home network.  I used the bridging technique from the same page.

There are a few things you can do.  First, I'd simplify the equation.  Forget
about getting 802.1d ethernet bridging working, for the moment.  I would
setup the WPC11 in the WDT11 in HostAP mode with a static address and setup
the other station in managed mode with a static address in the same subnet.

Then, see if you can ping yourself.  If that works, see if you can ping the
AP.  If so, there's a bridging issue floating around.  If not, then something
else is going on.  You said you were getting a good association and signal,
so I'd imagine the AP is sending out beacon frames properly.

> Here is the information from my ifconfig, iwconfig, and hostap_diag
> commands:
>
> *********hostap_diag wlan0**********
> Host AP driver diagnostics information for 'wlan0'
>
> NICID: id=0x8002 v1.0.0 (HWB3163-01,02,03,04 Rev A)
> PRIID: id=0x0015 v0.3.0
> STAID: id=0x001f v0.8.0 (station firmware)

As you mention later, the STA is suspiciously low.  I don't recall if INFDROPs
are fatal, however.  Is there anything interesting happening in your syslog
on the HostAP box during or after association with your wireless station?

> **********iwconfig wlan0**********
> wlan0	  IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"test"
<snip>

> **********ifconfig**********
> br0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:5A:CE:6D:C7
> 	  inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
> 	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> 	  RX packets:9723 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> 	  TX packets:13716 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> 	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> 	  RX bytes:654613 (639.2 Kb)  TX bytes:15682965 (14.9 Mb)

<snip public interface>

> eth1	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:29:24:9C:54
> 	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> 	  RX packets:9727 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> 	  TX packets:57955 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:1 carrier:1
> 	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> 	  RX bytes:790975 (772.4 Kb)  TX bytes:18335851 (17.4 Mb)
> 	  Interrupt:11 Base address:0xf000

<snip loopback>

> wlan0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:04:5A:CE:6D:C7
> 	  UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
> 	  RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> 	  TX packets:45616 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> 	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> 	  RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:3841942 (3.6 Mb)
> 	  Interrupt:14 Base address:0xc000
>
> My initial suspicion is that perhaps the age/firmware version I am running
> might be the problem.  If that is the case, from my readings, I could not
> find a set of firmware that was "known good" and I could use with my
> specific card. If anyone has had any success with this particular setup,
> I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide.	Thanks in advance...

First, I'd see if it works without bridging.  If not, you could investigate
your syslog (if you haven't already) for hints.  You might also try doing an
voliatile firmware update.  You will have to reflash when the power cycles,
but if it gets you up, it's worth it.

Hopefully others will have suggestions as well.

I don't think you mentioned what driver you're using on the client station.
HostAP in managed mode I assume?  What's the diagnostic output for that
system?

--

Jason Boxman
Administrator TrekWeb.COM