hostapd issues and questions

Sergio M. Ammirata ammirata
Fri Jan 24 21:30:59 PST 2003

Hostapd is not running when I change the MAC address.

Here is the script I use:

echo -n "Starting wlan0: "

insmod hostap_crypt

insmod hostap_crypt_wep

insmod hostap

# Start in infrastructure mode so that the old MAC Address does not get
exposed. insmod hostap_cs essid=test iw_mode=2 channel=6

echo -n "Initializing pcmcia"

/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia init

# Set the to the same mac as the ethernet interface
HWADDR=`/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | sed -n 's/.*HWaddr\(.*\)/\1/p'` ifconfig
wlan0 hw ether $HWADDR iwconfig wlan0 mode master # Configure Wireless
parameters iwconfig wlan0 txpower 23 iwconfig wlan0 sens 3 iwconfig
wlan0 nick $hostname # Disable bridging (use ethernet bridges instead)
iwpriv wlan0 bridge_packets 0 iwpriv wlan0 host_roaming 1 # Now that
everything is configured bring up the wlan0 interface and enabled the
hostap daemon ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0

# Start user space daemon

hostapd /etc/hostapd.conf

echo "Done."

> > 2) Without hostapd there is wlan0 and wlan0wdsx. Now we

> have wlan0ap

> > and wlan0sta as well. How are we supposed to setup Ethernet

> bridging

> > now? Do we include all three in the bridge (wlan0, wlan0ap and

> > wlan0sta)?

> wlan0ap should not be included in bridge setup at all. It

> used only for management frames (802.11 auth/assoc, 802.1X

> EAPOL frames) within that one AP. wlan0sta is an experimental

> device used for station mode operations with another AP if

> assoc_ap_addr is set. It does not support layer-2 bridging

> (just like any other "normal" station mode card), so it

> should not be included in bridge setup.

> > 3) Has the functionality of wlan0wdsx changed? When and why would I

> > use wlan0sta?

> No, wlan0wds# work as before. You could potentially use

> wlan0sta as a wireless uplink with IP routing (and possible

> Proxy ARPing).

I noticed that wlan0sta does not have an independent essid. When you
change it on wlan0 it also changes for wlan0sta. If the destination MAC
for wlan0sta has a different essid than wlan0, will it still link?

> > 4) With hostapd active iwspy no longer reports any info on wds

> > neighbors. How can I found out the strength of the links?

> That is not implemented yet.

Will it make it into this release?

Is there an alternate way of measuring the link speed or to even found
out that we are linked to neighbors other than pinging?

> --

> Jouni Malinen                                            PGP

> id EFC895FA

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

HostAP at shmoo.com