hostapd does not detach from the terminal

Denis Vlasenko vda
Thu Jan 23 01:39:04 PST 2003

On 17 January 2003 05:28, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 05:09:16PM +0000, kenw wrote:
> > When I start hostapd it does not detach from the terminal. Is this
> > normal behaviour, or should it fork giving me the terminal back. A
> > couple of example command line I am using are below.
>
> It is normal behavior for the latest release, but CVS version has
> support for forking into background.

Not that I am against forking, but backgrounding code duplication
in a unix utilities of all kinds is a waste of time.

You can save your time by using already existing tools.
Yes, there are tools to do it nicely. I use
daemontools, they can start and daemonize programs,
log their stdout with upper log size limit, *restart* crashed
daemons (like infamous named) without losing logs etc etc etc.

I am impressed by its simple, modular design.
What a contrast with monstrosities I have to work with
on my day job - Oracle under Windows 2000. That can be used
to scare small and not-so-small children.
--
vda