Somebody have the programmers guide of intersil chipset?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Jan 22 23:24:47 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:58:32AM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> Do you mean NIC's CPU (or whatever) docs?

I would assume that that is not available for anyone outside Intersil.
One might be able to get driver programmer's documentation after signing
NDA, but it does not cover MAC processor specific stuff.

> I wondered why we rely on someone else's code in the firware
> (and may be caught by fw bugs for years) instead of writing
> our own...

Because documentation or development environment for Intersil MAC is not
available..

> Anyway, even 1.4.9 firmware files aren't that big (~64k).
> Do anybody know what CPU is used in Prism cards?

Intersil ;-). They don't even want to tell you what programming language
was used for firmware coding (see Intersil knowledge base).

> Is it legal to try and disassemble firmware?

That probably depends on where you happen to live and local
legislation, etc. Anyway, good luck trying to disassemble the code
without even knowing the instruction codes or word length, etc. used in
the MAC processor ;-).