IAPP using HostAP-2002-10-12

Mohit Bajpai mohit
Wed Jan 22 05:38:33 PST 2003

Thanks for replying.

> We are in an advanced stage of implementing IAPP on HostAP for which
> we are using HostAP 2002-10-12 release for our implementation.

Are you using hostapd for this or the IAPP functionality in a separate
program? Please do note that hostapd in the CVS version of Host AP
driver includes initial IAPP implementation that I'm going to use as the
basis for full IAPP implementation..

MOHIT : The CVS version of hostapd with IAPP was not available when we started implementation of IAPP, therefore we used the version of hostapd (2002-10-12) available then to implement IAPP.

802.11f Draft 3.1 has been taken as a reference for the development of
> IAPP stack.
Please note that a newer version (draft 5) is already available.

MOHIT: Could you tell me the link from where I can download it. I could not find this draft on the Internet.

We have used a modular approach while implementing the same & done minimal changes to the main HostAP code. IAPP specific code has been mostly implemented as an additional library of functions to be linked to the main HostAP .We are facing some problems while implementing this related to retrieval of STA information from HostAP.

By "HostAP", do you refer to hostapd daemon or the kernel driver? Could
you please describe what are the main design differences between your
and my implementation of IAPP?

MOHIT: We are referring to the hostapd daemon. The main difference between our design & yours is that we have not really changed the hostapd the main implementation of hostapd except for adding a few function calls. The main IAPP is implemented as a separate lib of functions, which is linked with hostapd.

Could you please suggest a way to retrieve the STA related information from hostAP with respect to the following

> 1.. Is the STA already associated with HostAP. If yes, what is its association Id ?
> 2.. Where and how can I remove association of STA in the old AP after it moves to a New AP area.

I'm assuming you are linking your code with hostapd. In this case you
can use ap_get_sta() function to fetch station info based on MAC address
and sta->aid contains the association id allocated for that station (or
0 if AID has not yet been allocated). See CVS version of
hostap/hostapd/iapp.c and function iapp_process_add_notify() for an
example how to remove association on the old AP.

MOHIT: Regarding your suggestion to access STA related data I would further like to ask that when STA moves to the new AP area. AP2 (new AP) sends move notify message to AP1 (old AP) then the function which is handling received Notify messages on AP1 does not have access to valid hostapd structure pointer which is a parameter in ap_get_sta () function to retrieve STA info. Could you please suggest a way to get this value.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards

Mohit Bajpai