Setting MAC address

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Jan 20 20:09:54 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:58:56AM +0200, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> I seem to be unable to set MAC address.
> It seems to work and I can see my frames with right
> MAC address with tcpdump. The problem is, other hosts
> do not like me anymore :( I see zero incoming packets.

This works in my tests, both as an AP and as a station. When running
hostapd, one must restart hostapd after this change. Other than that,
there should not be other limitations on this. Anyway, I would recommend
changing the MAC address when the device is down.

Please give some details about the system and configuration that behaves
incorrectly. Are you changing the MAC address in an AP or a station?
Which firmware versions are you using? I'm mostly interested in which
command you run and in which order, what ifconfig shows as the MAC
address of wlan0 device after the changed, do you see errors in 'dmesg'
output, and what 'hostap_diag wlan0 -r | grep FC01' shows as the own
address.