What to do now?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Jan 11 13:22:55 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 07:04:40AM -0800, Linux Rocks! wrote:

> My cards (Proxim RangeLan-DS) still dont work under linux :(
> They do respond under linux (I can change modes, and see the lights do
> different things...) but I dont have them doing anything usefull.
> They Do work under windows95/98. (but ... windows doesnt do what I need)

Have you tested running one card in Linux as an AP (i.e., using Host AP
driver in Master mode) and another card in Windows as a client that
tries to associate with the AP? I haven't noticed anything in your dmesg
logs etc. that would indicate cause for problems, so this is a bit
difficult to solve.

I would suggest setting up one Host AP, make sure it is in Master mode
and that the netdevice is UP. After this, try to associate with it using
another laptop with Windows (that has been tested to work with another
AP). If this does not work, please send me output of following commands
from the laptop running Host AP driver (run these after the failed test,
before having changed anything in the Host AP configuration):

dmesg
cat /proc/interrupts
iwconfig wlan0
ifconfig -a
hostap_diag wlan0 -r wlan0

(hostap_diag is in the utils directory of the Host AP driver package).

I would also ask you to repeat the test with latest CVS version of the
Host AP driver if you are still using the latest release (2002-10-12).