Hostap on 802.11a Cards

Jacques Caron Jacques.Caron
Fri Jan 10 07:38:58 PST 2003

Hi,

The PRISM 2/2.5/3 chipsets only support 802.11b. 802.11a is supported by
the PRISM Indigo and Duette chipsets only, but I don't think there are any
cards with those chipsets yet. Let us know if you find any. Intersil said
that hostap mode would continue to be supported in newer PRISM chipsets, so
once the cards are out, chances are good they will be supported, but until
then...

And as far as I know, the only available 802.11a cards are based on the
Broadcom chipset, the 802.11b version of which does not even have any
drivers. And even if there were, there's no guarantee that the firmware of
the card would allow anything like hostap to happen.

Jacques.

At 07:39 10/01/2003, Venkatesh N wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have a query.
>Does the Hostap-2002-10-12 works for PCI based 802.11a (prism 2/2.5/3) cards.
>Has anybody tried out this?
>If yes on what vendor cards does Hostap-2002-10-12 succesfully operate.
>
>If Hostap-2002-10-12 does not work with 802.11a cards, do we
>have any other similar software that could configure the card to behave as an
>access point.
>
>A help here is very much appreciated
>
>regards,
>Venkatesh N
>Tata Elxsi Ltd
>Bangalore

-- Jacques Caron, IP Sector Technologies
    Join the discussion on public WLAN open global roaming: