hostap doesn't understand wireless commands

Lewis Adam-CAL022 Adam.Lewis
Tue Feb 18 11:06:49 PST 2003

Praedor,

I think I know what your problem is as it bit me as well when I first
starting playing with this.  Linux includes a binary version of iwconfig.
This version is old and needs to be replaced by the one that you built
yourself.  Do a 'which iwconfig' to find out which one your are using.  Make
a backup copy of this and then replace that copy with your own built one.
This will fix your problem.

-adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Praedor Atrebates [mailto:praedor at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 1:01 PM
To: jt at hpl.hp.com
Cc: HostAP
Subject: Re: hostap doesn't understand wireless commands

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 01:28 pm, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> Praedor Atrebates wrote :
> > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on device
wlan0
> > Invalid argument.
>
> 	Weird... Do :
> 		iwconfig --version
> 	And report the result...

Hello,

There is something off with my wireless extensions.  First question, are the

wireless extensions included in the kernels now?  If so, how is it that a
2.4.19 kernel has an "ancient" version of wireless extensions?

I just rebuilt my kernel with success this time on my laptop.  I then
rebuilt
pcmcia-cs-3.1.30 and hostap-2002-10-12.

The output of "iwconfig --version" is
version 25

with a note about being built using wireless extensions v13

Where do the wireless extensions reside?  Is the hostap-2002-10-12 driver so

far behind wrt wireless extensions?

praedor