Where do I begin

Ariel Molina Rueda ariel
Tue Feb 11 16:54:27 PST 2003

Well if your linux box recognizes it as a prism card it is a prism card,
broadcom cards are recognized as BroadcomSemiconductor (or somthing like
that)... sounds fool but its true... LOL  :)

Here
http://www.netgate.com/support/prism_firmware/
is where i found the 1.4.9 firmware im actually using, it is the latest as
i know, and it just works fine for me. And surely will work fine for you.

He's a list of secondary firmware revisions that are in the wild:

0.7.5 Known to generate INFDROP events under high load
0.8.0 Same as above
0.8.3 Known good
1.3.4 Jouni Malinen writes, "However, one should
      note that PRI 1.0.5 and STA 1.3.4 have some
      PCI bus related bugs that cause packet corruption."
1.3.5 Known good
1.3.6 Known good
1.4.2 Jouni Malinen explains, "The bug in 1.4.2
      causes the card to not reply Probe Request
      frames in Host AP mode.
      However, beacon frames are sent correctly."
1.4.9 Known good
      -- Only version up to this point to
      support firmware based WEP encryption properly

You may want to check Jason's Web Thingy for some
info about firmwares:
http://www.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/hostap_20021012.shtml

and yeah, it is possible to upgrade the firmware directly from your linux
box, but i also read that it could be more dangerous for your card. I dont
remember very well but the winupdate works also for other cards. If you
want to upgrade from linux i heard that you can do it using tftp.

I dont think is a good idea to run winupdate from VMWare or wine
(but i might be wrong), ... well, i wouldnt do that if that
WMP11 was mine. You better find a win-folk an tell him/her to let you
install the card and upgrade it from windoze.