New 802.11g Wireless Standard

Vladimir Ivaschenko hazard
Tue Feb 11 12:05:22 PST 2003

Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:14:48AM -0500 Praedor Tempus Atrebates wrote about Re: New 802.11g Wireless Standard

> > > There are. D-Link DWL-G650, NetGear WG511, Linksys WMP54G are based on
> > > Intersil's Prism GT chipset.
>
> It would be a mistake to jump on the 802.11g bandwagon right now.  The device
> manufacturers have NOT agreed on a standard so there are issues with these
> early devices wrt interoperability.  One vendor's 802.11g device doesn't
> necessarily understand/interoperate with another vendor's.  There is also
> some question still about 802.11b compatibility.  Wait until there is an
> agreed upon standard such that all vendor's products play nice with other
> vendor's products and truly are back-compatible with 802.11b.

I seriously doubt that firmware APIs will change once .11g upgrades are
available. So a driver written for pre-.11g firmware should still work on
.11g firmware.

--
Best Regards
Vladimir Ivaschenko