DWL 520

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Dec 12 18:57:57 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 06:10:24PM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> prism2_srec should be used to load primary and secondary firmware in
> genesis node.  I remember Jouni wrote that it's not supported yet, but
> maybe it's worth trying.

As far as I can tell, it is almost supported ;-). I believe Bjorn Wesen
was able to modify the driver to work with a card without firmware
images in the flash (see email thread on this mailing list couple of
months ago). I made some of the needed changes to the driver (no_primary
kernel parameter must be set to 1).

I believe that something is still missing. One clear change was to add a
flag for prism2_srec to skip PDA read and just use the defaults from the
PRI image. This should be trivial change. I'm not sure whether this is
the only required change, but it could be.

One would then load hostap_pci module with no_primary=1 module
parameter, load PRI image to RAM (with prism2_srec -gp flags for Genesis
mode and persistent download), load STA image to RAM (with -p for
persistent download). With could luck, that would be about it.

I might try to at least add that extra flag to prism2_srec, but I'm not
sure whether I have enough time to test this much before January because
I'm going to move (i.e., drop my Internet connection for a week or so
unless I can find a good wireless connection ;-) and then go on vacation
during Christmas.

Anyway, I would be interested in finally getting support for those cards
included in the driver/prism2_srec code, so it would be nice if someone
is willing to test the changes for me since I do not have that kind of
hardware. Last time it was because I did not know where to get one, but
if this new version of DWL520 is easily available, I could just buy one
if that's the only way to get it working..