Dynamic WEP keys using 802.1x with hostapd-0.1.0, is it broken?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Dec 8 18:23:50 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:26:01PM +0100, Christian Ericsson wrote:

> I can't get Windows XP SP1 as client to work with hostapd-0.1.0 with dynamic
> WEP keys. Is it broken? I have been using the minimal co-located
> authentication server - for test, only. The authentication seems to work.
> But, the Windows XP client seems to have problem with getting the current
> WEP key. Static WEP keys works fine.

Dynamic WEP keys require that you use an EAP method capable of
generating master keys. Minimal authentication server in hostapd is not
able to do this and it cannot thus be used for such a test. You will
need to setup external RADIUS server and use, e.g., EAP-TLS, EAP-PEAP,
or EAP-TTLS for this to work.