manual roaming in client mode

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Dec 6 17:18:54 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 12:17:02PM -0800, Randy Wilkinson wrote:

> I am using hostap version 0.4 with the host_roaming 2 option in managed
> mode. I also wrote a script that scans and reassociates when
> connectivity is lost using:
> 	iwconfig wlan1 essid test
> 	iwconfig wlan1 ap [mac of ap] //to reassociate
>
> As long as the channel is the same this seems to work most of the time.

You might want to add setting channel to that list (before 'ap'
command).. In addition, I would recommend testing a newer version of the
driver if there are any issues with 0.0.4.

> But this manual roaming mode seems somewhat unstable. One of my devices
> seems to authenticate and associate properly but then immediately
> disconnects with a link status of 2. Has anyone else ran into this
> problem?

Which station firmware version are you using? I used host_roaming mode 2
with wpa_supplicant and it has worked fine with the new (1.7.1 or newer)
firmware versions I have tested.