No tx-power option

DrDoom drdoom
Thu Aug 28 14:17:18 PDT 2003

I saw on the Changelog
http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/hostap/ChangeLog?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
for version 0.0.4 this:

* removed TX power controlling (iwconfig txpower) since the
	  experimental algorithm in the driver did not include any feedback
	  from the measured TX power and could allow TX power values that cause
	  interference or signal quality issues; now only txpower 'off' and
	  'auto' are allowed. TX power controlling will be returned after
	  proper algorithm using feedback loop has been implemented.

That explains why it doesn't work on 0.0.4 version.

Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

>I've just noticed that the "Tx-Power" isn't displayed on my interfaces
>running HostAP when I run an iwconfig, however other devices using other
>drivers do. (i'll try some older hostap versions when I get home tonight)
>
>I have two RH9 boxes running latest CVS of HostAP and both function
>perfectly and have been for a year or more.
>
>I used to run "iwconfig wlan0 txpower 200mW" at bootup as by default the
>card didn't run at full power.  I've since noticed the txpower command no
>longer works.
>
>[root at wantirna-ap1 etc]# iwconfig wlan0 txpower 200mW
>Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
>    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
>
>Here's my iwconfig output  (notice wlan0 shows no Tx-Power while eth1
>running the orinoco driver does)....
>

>eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"AAF_FKR_LINK"  Nickname:"wantirna-ap1"
>          Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.437GHz  Cell: 02:00:BD:7F:DC:2A
>          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
>          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>          Encryption key:off
>          Power Management:off
>          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:12647
>          Tx excessive retries:1022  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
>wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"aaf.wireless.org.au"
>Nickname:"wantirna-ap1"
>          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.462GHz  Access Point: 00:02:6F:04:0F:81
>          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
>          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>          Encryption key:off
>          Power Management:off
>          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>          Tx excessive retries:964  Invalid misc:5138   Missed beacon:0

David Martos (aka DrDoom)

http://www.sorgonet.com