modversion issue on redhat 9 (Jun Sun)

Ged Haywood ged
Wed Aug 27 07:49:15 PDT 2003

Hello there,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 Jun Sun wrote:

> Basically if you compile hostap modules for a redhat 9 box, you
> will end up many unresolved kernel symbols when you install the modules.
>
> The problem is that hostap would include linux/modversions.h file ahead
> of all other header files, but in reality this file needs to be included
> after linux/rhconfig.h file because many #ifdef's used there.

I'm not sure that's the problem.

I think you might find that the kernel and modules that ship with RH9
were not compiled with the .config that you used.  If you recompile a
kernel or any modules with the .config that came with RH9 you may need
to reinstall all the modules as well as the kernel.

You can always just compile everything with CONFIG_MOD_VERSIONS not
set in the .config but that's asking for trouble later on if you have
more than one build on your system.

73,
Ged.