Hard lockup with XI-636

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Aug 18 19:33:38 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 06:22:01PM +1000, Mathew Burns wrote:

> I have a zcom (rebadged as skymaster here in australia) xi-626 pci card
> working fine in ad-hoc mode with the oricono_pci module but would like
> to use one of two identical boxes as a AP.
>
> Whenever I issue "modprobe hostap_pci" the machine hard locks, with
> nothing written to syslog or dmesg.
> The last line written by modprobe is "registered net device: wlan0"

Do you get any messages on text console if you first set logging level
to maximum (dmesg -n 8)? What kind of host system are you using (CPU? is
it SMP?)?

> Kernel 2.4.21 compiled myself with the wireless extention patches
> applied as suggested.

Which compiler version did you use to compile the kernel? Did you
compile Host AP driver with the exact same compiler? Did you run 'make
clean' after applying any patches to the kernel (i.e., recompiled
everything)?