What's the difference between prism2.5 and prism3 and what version of hostap support prism3

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Aug 18 19:12:56 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 05:33:20PM -0700, William Tai wrote:

> > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, William Tai wrote:
> > > This is a Linux driver for wireless LAN cards based on Intersil's
> > > Prism2/2.5 chipset.

Yes, that was written when Prism3 did not yet exist and has not been
updated since ;-).

> > > I do not know whether my driver support prism3 or not.

Host AP driver has always supported Prism3. There are no major
differences between Prism2, Prism2.5, and Prism3 as far as the driver is
concerned.

> My driver is downloaded around April.
> I insert the Prism3 card.
> It seems not working well.
> Client can not associated with my AP.

Which firmware version are you using? If it happens to be STA f/w
v1.4.2, you should note that it has a known issue of not working in Host
AP mode. If it is another version, please do give more details: test
latest CVS version, send 'dmesg' output of a client trying to associate
with it. In addition, include full description of the card you are using
(vendor, model, firmware versions, pci/plx/cs).

> BTW, could you tell me when hostap start to support prism3?

It already supports Prism3. I use Prism2, Prism2.5, and Prism3 cards
in my tests and they all work fine. I am not aware of any Prism3-related
issue in the driver. You need to give more details about the issues you
have seen in order to make it possible to figure out what is wrong.