Understanding what files are what in a flash archive

Pavel Roskin proski
Thu Aug 14 22:54:20 PDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, James B. Hiller wrote:

> As I prepare to flash my DLink DWL-520 to get beyond reported buggy
> firmware, I have copied several firmware zip versions.  How does one
> determine the differences and applicability among the several types of
> files that seem to be included?

$ prism2_srec --help
[snip]
If -r, -g, or -f is not specified, image summary is shown and
compatibility with WLAN card is verified without downloading
anything.

> For example, 1.1.0 has a file with a pk prefix, and a number that
> doesn't quite match the "version" number; as well as an sf number,
> and a number that does resemble the version number.

This is described in http://home.eunet.cz/jt/wifi/Download.pdf by
Intersil.  It is also explained in simple terms in the mini-HOWTO at
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

> Then I look in the 1.7.4 archive, and I see that there are 7 files of
> all kinds of prefices, include the sf as one of them. What are these
> various files for?

You forgot to say which archive.  If you have a problem, it may happen
that you are looking in a wrong place.

If you mean files under http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/firmware/, I put a
short explanation to http://www.red-bean.com/~proski/firmware/readme

> Is there a secret decoder ring out there for the file naming?  I've gone
> through a little over 50% of the hostap archive, and so far I remain
> clueless on this.

I'm sorry, the problem is that people who know enough to write
documentation spend their time on other things, including replies to the
mailing list, which may not give the complete picture.  But the mini-HOWTO
is a step in the right direction, and it was mentioned 3 times in the
mailing list.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin