WInXP +SP1 Hostap and 802.1x authentications

Oleg Izhvanov OIzhvanov
Wed Aug 13 03:35:46 PDT 2003

Jouni Malinen wrote:

> You seem to have disabled all authentication algorithms. In practice,
> this means that no one is able to use your AP.. I should probably just
> change hostapd to reject that kind of configuration. Anyway, auth_algs
> is a bit field and it should be set to 1 (i.e., bit0 set) to allow Open
> System Authentication when using IEEE 802.1X. Other possible values are
> 2 (only Shared Key Auth) and 3 (both Open System and Shared Key
> accepted), but these should not be used with IEEE 802.1X.

But why ? It is not prohibited using shared key authentication with
802.1X enabled. It doesn't make much sense, though. For example, you
may use default key with index 0 for shared authentication and other key
indexes for key update via EAPOL-Key frames.

--
Best Regards, Oleg Izhvanov <oizhvanov at rfmd.com>