hostap on Senao 2511 wireless cards

Pavel Roskin proski
Mon Aug 4 11:43:06 PDT 2003

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Evan Harris wrote:

> Anyone know why the irq_mode=0 setting is necessary for these
> PCI/Cardbus bridge cards to work properly?  Can this be added to the
> FAQ?

It's not trivial to figure out if the bridge is connected to the ISA
interrupt controller or not.  If it's connected, ISA interrupts are
preferred because some PCMCIA drivers have problems sharing interrupts
with the bridge itself.

If the bridge is a PCI card, it's not connected to the ISA interrupt
controller.  Then the only option is to use the PCI interrupt line that is
already used for the card insertion events.

The i82365 driver from pcmcia-cs used the existing state of the bridge if
irq_mode is not specified.  This works fine for most laptops, but not for
standalone PCI cards.

The pcmcia-cs package is in the late maintenance mode, and I don't expect
it to be improved to determine irq_mode automatically.

On the other hand, the kernel driver is being actively developed, and it
should do the right thing.  If the kernel driver is not working for you,
report it to the PCMCIA mailing list: linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin