Hostap-0.0.1 Install problems debian woody 2.4.18tsc

unlisted unlisted
Tue Apr 29 22:14:35 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 16:24, verdu009 at cistron.nl wrote:
> I installed woody with the standard 2.2.20 kernel and upgraded afterward to 2.4.18(tsc) Image install.
> I did a kernel source installation of 2.4.18 as well.
> Later on I compiled my 3com 905 into the kernel as well with the wireless extensions.
> Nothing exotic i think.

what "kernel source" package did you install?  i assume
"kernel-source-2.4.18"?  i believe you just need the kernel-headers
package that corresponds to your installed kernel-image package, not the
entire kernel-source, if all you want to do is build kernel modules
against the current kernel image.  the kernel-headers package for the
kernel you mentioned is kernel-headers-2.4.18-586tsc.

once you install the headers you'll need to move/copy/link them to where
build scripts will expect them to be.

ln -s kernel-headers-2.4.18-586tsc /usr/src/linux

should you actually need both the kernel source and the kernel headers
specific to your kernel image, then you'll need to install and merge
both.

(disclaimer: this is from memory and from looking at the packages
installed on my debian system.)

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc \
	kernel-source-2.4.18 \
	kernel-headers-2.4.18-586tsc
tar -xvvjf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 /usr/src/linux
mv /usr/src/linux/include /usr/src/linux/include~
cp -pv /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-586tsc/* /usr/src/linux/

this should give you the exact kernel source used to compile the
kernel-image-2.4.18-586tsc package.

see if this gets you back on track.  anybody correct me if you see a
mistake.  anymore i just use the kernel-source and kernel-headers
packages to get me a working source install (hopefully with the
legendary debian quality), from which i do a make-kpkg to create/compile
my own kernel-image packages.  the only kernel-image packages that i
install from debian are the boot-floppy images, which make good rescue
images as just about everything is compiled into the kernel and it's
pretty generic (hey, it's what debian uses to try to install debian to
every x86 hardware configuration available).  but i use to do what you
are doing, so my memory may be a little rusty.

anyways...
--

PLEASE REQUEST PERMISSION TO REDISTRIBUTE
   AUTHOR'S COMMENTS OR EMAIL ADDRESS.