PCF mode in HostAP

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Apr 24 21:29:04 PDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 07:18:34PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> You are right.  It is possible that CNFSTAPCFINFO (0xFC35) could affect
> HostAP master mode, but I don't know.  It should affect HostAP driver in
> managed mode.  PCF has to be enabled on the station side too, by
> requesting to be on the poll list.

I haven't really tested PCF at all, but yes, that should change managed
mode behavior. Anyway, I would be surprised if that RID would work in
Host AP mode.

> I assumed that hostapd has to be enabled for that.  After looking at the
> code, it turns out I was wrong.  However, iwpriv would be much easier to
> use from shell scripts.

I don't think current iwpriv would be the most convenient solution for
this. I don't link moving string parsing into the kernel driver and
setting variable length binary items does not fit will with iwpriv (I
think).

Take a look at Host AP snapshot.. I added utils/hostap_rid to make some
testing easier; it should also be usable from shell scripts if you need
to do something that is not directly supported in the driver.

> Correct.  One possible solution would be to keep a list of "persistent
> RIDs" that were set by the user.

Yes.. Although, I think I would prefer to add "real support" for all the
items that are considered useful in real life. hostap_rid should be fine
for testing and if something proves to be useful and requires persisten
RID configuration, it could be moved into driver code (with
iwpriv/whatever mechanism for configuration).