incomplete kernel

Jarmie Espuerta jesper
Mon Apr 21 01:00:29 PDT 2003

can somebody help me with this. im installing the hostap-2002-10-12
driver on my pc with kernel 2.4.18-3IMAGINE... i made the commands

bash# make plx
bash# make install_plx

then there was this error stating...

/sbin/depmod -a
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.18-3IMAGINE/net/hostap_plx.o
make: *** [install_plx] Error 1

what could have gone wrong? PLEASE help me resolve this problem.

Aditya S Chikodi wrote:

Hi Jarmie

I havent tried installing the PLX driver but have faced similar problem
while installing PCCARD driver for hostap. One of the reasons for our
problem was an incomplete kernel, i.e., the kernel being used for hostap
compilation was missing a few important symbols found under
usr/src/linux/net/ directory. We recompiled the kernel. Another important
thing for the compilation and hostap installation to succeed is to boot with
the newly compile, complete kernel image and then proceed with the hostap
compilation and installation process.

See if these procedures bail u out from the installation problem.

Regards
Aditya

**** thank you for that. im just confused because im also doing the same
thing. im rebuilding and rebuilding my kernel and the same thing
happens.  what should be done or what should i configure during the
'make xconfig' so that i can say that my kernel is complete.  or let's
say i don't know the factors that makes up a COMPLETE KERNEL. anywayz im
using kernel 2.4.18-3 and a newbie on this system both the linux and hostap.